OWL Educator Resources
- Tips for using the OWL in different classroom arrangements.
- Tips for using the OWL to deliver feedback on writing assignments.
- Ideas for course activities that make use of the OWL.
- Part 1: Introduction to Writing in the Disciplines.
- Part 2: Creating Effective Assignments.
- Part 3: Peer Review & Revision.
- Part 4: Effective Feedback & Rubrics.
- AAC&U Written Communication VALUE Rubric.
- AAC&U Reading VALUE Rubric.
- Create as many Owlets as you like.
- Use your Owlets as free online textbooks.
- Integrate reading and writing content from the OWL.
- Create and keep track of your Owlets with a free OWL account.
- Search an index of writing activities.
- Search an index of reading activities.
The Excelsior OWL is unique in its multimedia support for writers. It offers a wide variety of interactive multimedia activities, quizzes, videos, interactive PDFs, and games – all designed to help writers understand important concepts about writing.
Welcome to Educator Resources for the Excelsior OWL & ORC.
Watch this video to learn more:
Excelsior OWL Fast Facts
- At Excelsior College, the OWL was used to replace textbooks in the English 101 course, saving students approximately $125,000 total each year.
- In a national study, students using the Excelsior OWL in their writing courses scored 6.6 points higher on their final averages in their courses compared to students in the study who did not have access to the Excelsior OWL.
- Students who used the Excelsior OWL reported that the Excelsior OWL was easy to use and that it helped them see clear connection to writing in their other courses in college.
- Faculty members using the Excelsior OWL in the study found the Excelsior OWL was a perfect blend of writing instruction and fun, and students using the Excelsior OWL reported the Excelsior OWL “was on their side,” unlike other educational materials.