What to Do While Reading
Effective reading requires active engagement with the text as you read. This section covers several strategies to become an active reader, such as annotating, making inferences, and building your vocabulary. Click on one of the areas below to learn more.
Annotating: Learn how to engage texts by annotating while you read.
- Creating an Annotation System: Annotating while you read is the most fundamental technique of active reading. Learn how to annotate a text by watching this video.
- Annotating an Essay or Book: Learn what to look for when annotating an essay or book.
- Annotating a Textbook: Learn how to identify and annotate the key parts of a textbook.
- Annotating a Journal Article: Learn about the different types of academic journal articles and how to annotate them.
- Annotating a Work of Fiction: Learn about how to read and annotate a work of fiction, such as a short story or novel.
- How to Read Visual Aids: Learn how to read visual aids.
Inferencing: Learn how to read between the lines to identify what a text is implying rather than directly stating.
Vocabulary Strategies: Learn about techniques and tools to help you improve your reading vocabulary.
- Context Clues: Learn what context clues are and how to use them to decipher the meaning of unfamiliar words you come across while reading.
- Word-Part Clues: Learn what word parts are and how to use them to discover the meaning of unfamiliar words you come across while reading.
- Specialized Terminology: Learn how to identify and acquire specialized terminology for specific subjects and disciplines.
- Figurative Language: Learn the difference between literal and figurative language, and how to interpret different types of figurative language you may encounter as you read.
- Creating Vocabulary Flashcards: Learn how to build your reading vocabulary by making vocabulary flashcards.
- Creating a KIM Chart: Learn how to build your reading vocabulary by making a KIM Chart (key word, information, and memory cue).
- Creating a Word Web: Learn how to build your reading vocabulary by making word webs.